People often hesitate to throw out items that have passed their expiration dates or still look edible. It is important to remember that when you have any doubt about an item it should be discarded.
Checking for signs of contamination:
- Are there visible signs of deterioration?
- Has the colour changed and is the colour unnatural?
- Has the texture of the item changed? Is it now slimy or clumpy?
- Has the item been in the temperature Danger Zone longer than the prescribed time?
- Does the item smell have off smells?
- Does the item taste bad?
- Has the expiration date or best before date passed?
If you have replied “yes” to one or more of these items then you do have reasonable doubt to throw it out. Remember when in When in doubt, throw it out!